Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Heun Kee Claypot Chicken Rice

We actually passed by this area accidentally when we were not able to get to the food street at Jalan Loke Yew. While driving around to find our dinner place, we happened to see this restaurant with crowd, so decided to check this out. It is claypot rice, I saw the staff is preparing the rice outside the restaurant, it looks interesting. The restaurant was quite crowded when we arrived around 8:30pm and there still had 2 groups of people queuing.

Heun Kee was established since 1985 by Madam Heun May Lan. Madam Heun was in the restaurant that day and I did chat with her for a while before our food arrive. She started with just a small hawker stall at PJ Old Town’s wet market and slowly build her reputation up in this 28 years. She said she moved 6-7 times for the restaurant but always around pudu area, that is where she is as of today.

She said using the traditional charcoal cooking method when preparing her claypot chicken rice make her rice more fragrant. She then used 2 heats method, the 1st heat which is cooking the rice slowly from the bottom and 2nd heat which she uses a iron lid with burning charcoal on top of the claypot to cooked the marinated chicken. You can see from the picture below, the one without the charcoal on top is the 1st heat, while the corner top with charcoal was with the 2nd heat.

While chatting with her, I realized that she also operate a branch at Malaysia Food Street at Sentosa Singapore. The stall is run by others and I did recalled I did not like it as it seemed uncook for me during the time I visited. Pudu branch consider the very authentic one and the taste is much better than the one I had in Singapore.

Madam Heun May Lan


House Speciality Seafood Beancurd[min 6pcs](RM9) - Mdm Heun said this is homemade and taste superb. I personally like it but not the superb feel. My friends they all like it a lot. The chili paste is the good one. Can taste some lime.


Yau Mak(RM12) - this type of vegetables I found it is very common in KL but not my hometown and Singapore. Just a very simple stir fried and it tasted really good.


Pig Stomach with Pepper Soup - Small (RM9) - we just got a small one to try out as we scared we ordered too much. I like it, I myself do not know how to clean the pig stomach as it is quite troublesome. The version here is good because no weird smell(if you did not clean it properly, there is some strong smell). The soup is clear but tasted great. All of us like it very much.


Claypot Chicken Rice - Medium(RM18)[Winner of Claypot Rice] - the main character of the night. The version here is much better than the one I had in Sentosa Singapore. Nicely cooked with charcoal and the salted fish is so great to go with the rice. Chicken marinated quite well too. Best park is there is a bit of burn taste which increase the aroma.


Claypot Wax Duck Rice - Medium(RM38) -1st time I had wax duck and I am sorry that I cannot appreciate it. The price is much higher to normal claypot chicken rice. Understand from the article that the wax duck is imported from Hong Kong and seems to be seasonal items, which means you won't always have chance to have it. I prefer the chicken rice version partly also because I feel the rice was not burn enough.


Heun Kee Claypot Chicken Rice
Address: 59, Ground Floor, Jalan Yew, Pudu, Kuala Lumpur, 55100, Kuala Lumpur, WP Kuala Lumpur, 55100, Malaysia
Tel:+60 3-9200 1603

No comments: