Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Por Kee Eating House(波记海鲜酒楼)

I had stayed at Tiong Bahru area for 3 years and I didn't know about this famous restaurant until friend's birthday dinner. As usual, we were asking the group of friends where should we have the dinner. WW's friend introduced us to here. Reservation is highly recommended if you are going on any weekend, especially if you want to have air-conditioned area as there only have limited spaces for the indoor.

It is located right opposite Tiong Bahru Market. It is an old school Chinese restaurant that has been in operation since 1996(if I am not mistaken as you can see the title putted as 1996). If you google online, you can find many review, those who commented disappointingly mainly said the standard dropped a lot. For me as a 1st timer, I feel it is consider quite a good experience, i just have to avoid ordering certain food for my next visit. We spent $164.20 for 9 of us.


Mandatory pickles and peanuts($2.50++ each) that served when we arrived. I don't really like the concept of I have to pay something which is not my preference. The nuts is normal and the ah char(the pickles) is not nice, I think my mum make better than this. Tea and Towel is compulsory for $1.80++ per pax, this is still reasonable as we normally will get some drinks.


Sambal Kang Kong($14++), tasted rather normal and standard. 


Signature Homemade Toufu($20++), when I heard about the signature toufu, my impression was a big slice of fried toufu with the fried mince meat on top. I was wrong when it was served like below. The toufu tasted silky smooth yet firm and the gravy is nice. They used some mixed vegetables and I even saw sea cucumber in the dish, so kind of worry will it be very expensive? The sea cucumber tasted totally not nice, soft and there was a weird taste when I ate it.


Yam Basket($24++), I love yam so I love anything that made with yam. The yam basket here is good, it is fried well so tasted cripsy and yet inside is soft. It was filled with fried chicken, prawn and mixed vegetables.


Seafood Roll($16++), something like fried prawn paste, not much taste seafood. I don't like it, partly because not very nice, another reason was it has the vegetables that I don't like.


Butter Cereal Prawn($33++) which is highly recommended by the staff, said that it is the best and signature of the restaurant. I generally like the butter prawn very much because I like the egg floss with butter and smell is just so fragrant. Por Kee version tasted good(not the best), but I did not really taste any cereal, so it is more towards butter prawn version.


The champagne pork ribs($27++), available as a short rib (from $18, main picture) or long rib ($8 per piece) variation is a house specialty here. The fork-tender meat coated in a thick, caramelized dark brown sauce tasted with very nice smokey flavour which I like it a lot.  I was struggling whether to order long rib but it is hard to share so in the end, we went for the medium size of the short ribs.


Por Kee Eating House(波记海鲜酒楼)
Address: 69 Seng Poh Ln, Singapore 160069
Tel:6221 0582

No comments: