Sunday, June 16, 2013

Mouth Restaurant地茂馆

Heard the good review of the dim sum for this restaurant so we dated a group of dim sum lover to try this out. I choose the branch at Plaza Singapura as it is easier to access but I guess I had the wrong choice. I found that most of the dim sum are not make in the kitchen itself, instead the food are mostly make at the Chinatown main branch then delivered over. I went at 10am with the reservation and I finished my dim sum at 12:30pm.  Not because we were chit chatting for long, we were actually waiting for some dim sum to be served.  

I was here to try the salted egg custard bun and guess how long did I waited for that, I hour and 45 minutes.  It was way too long. We were curious why the bun is nit coming yet while other stuffs had been served. Only after an hour and 20 minutes,  the staff told us the dim sum is made at the main branch and it took time for them to deliver, it seemed there is traffic jam and they will reached in 5 mins. Since we had waited for so long, another 5 mins sounds reasonable to us but I was wrong, we waited for another 25 mins only the bun was served. We ordered the rice roll and only 10mins before the custard bun was served, they told us, it was not available and seems not at this round of delivery.  Oh my god..1st time I heard about such things.  I am lucky I was not waiting for that item only, if not isn't it a waste of time when after 1 hour 35mins they told you it is not available.

If you want to have better and fresh dim sum,  I will advise you to go to the main branch. From what my friend told me, the food main branch tasted better. She was part of the diner today. She tasted both branches and that is what her conclusion. I am not too sure about the dishes other than dim sum.


Deep Fried Prawn Dumpling, 3pcs($4++) - Taste: standard. Steamed Siew Mai with Whole Prawn, 3pcs($4.80++) - Taste: quite good in fact is the best among the dim sum. Deep Fried Banana Prawn Roll, 2pcs($3.50++) - Tasted good.


6 flavour "Har Gao" with XO sauce变色龙(六味极品酱虾饺), 6pcs($9.80++) - this is really go for the novelty. It tasted all the same although the skin is blended with different ingredient but you can't taste at all. The 6 colour skin is make of the spinach, squid ink, sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot and original.


Century Egg with Sherred Pork Congee($4.80++) -tasted standard. Steamed BBQ Honey Pork Bun, 3pcs($3.80++) - tasted quite nice.


Seafood Congee with Squid Ink($8.50++) - again for its novelty. The taste is almost the same as the normal congee that we ordered.


Pan Fried Carrot Cake, 3pcs($3.80++) - not bad but a bit too soft. Steamed Glutinous Rice in Lotus Leaf Wrap, 2pcs($4.50) - tasted quite nice. I personally like it.


Squid Ink Char Siew Bao, 3pcs($5++) - it has quite a funny chinese name, 黑脸包青天. If you read the Chinese history, you will know who is 包青天(Jutice Bao). Again for its novelty, but we found that the skin is softer than the normal char siew bao, tasted wise quite ok. It depends on personal preference, some of my friend like this version, some like the traditional one.


Steamed Spicy Chicken Claws桂林蒸凤爪($3.90++) - standard, Steamed Spare Ribs with Pumpkins($4.50++) - taste nice and smooth, Deep Fried Prawn Spring Roll($3.80++) - nothing special. Mini egg Tart,4pcs($4.70++) - not nice as the skin is not crispy and the filling doesn't taste good.


Signature Baked Cream of Salted Egg Yolk Bun地茂雪山流沙包, 3pcs($5.40++) - This is really disappointed me, the skin can be better if it is freshly baked and cripsy but it tasted a bit soggy and the bun seems like setting. The filling is kind of a bit sweet and the salted egg taste is not strong enough. My friend told me that the one she tried at the Chinatown branch was really very nice. I wasn't sure if today the standard happen to be dropped or because of the delivery.


Chilled Durian Ball, 3pcs ($4.50++) - tasted not bad and is best when chilled. I am not sure if it is originally should be like this but looks to me the Durian Ball like putted there for long as the white caster sugar coating was gone and the skin is a bit sticky, is it suppose to be like that?


Total damage for this breakfast or lunch is $170++ for 8 of us.

Mouth Restaurant地茂馆
Address: 22 Cross St, Singapore 048421
Tel: 6534 4233

No comments: